Historic Preservation

The Croswell House

The Lucy Wolcott Barnum Chapter NSDAR maintains the Croswell House in Adrian, MI. It was built in 1841. This modest red brick house is considered to be a perfect example of the early Michigan style of Greek Revival architecture. Elizabeth Musgrave Croswell Merrill, the widow and second wife of Governor Charles Croswell, gave it to the chapter in 1927 as a memorial to the 17th Governor of the State of Michigan. Governor Croswell’s first wife died after she fell down the stairs, protecting the baby she carried from harm. There are five pieces of original furniture in the house. The Croswell House is on the National Register of Historic Places and the Michigan Historical Markers.

The “Governor’s Mansion”

The chapter house of the Mary Marshall Chapter NSDAR in Marshall, MI, commonly known as the “Governor’s Mansion” is situated on “Capitol Hill” near the site intended for the capital of Michigan. James Wright Gordon, the builder, came to Marshall in 1835 and later served as Governor of the State of Michigan. Gordon purchased the land in Marshall and was optimistic to the point of certainty that their thriving village would be named the capital of Michigan. The Governor’s Mansion was built for the express purpose of housing an executive of the state. The one and a half story structure has a side-front entrance from the one-story portico porch. The Doric columns on the porch were made in Detroit and hauled by ox cart to Marshall. The large six-panel front door with sidelights and open-string staircase is ornamented with scroll brackets. The Governor’s Mansion is on the National Register of Historic Places and the Michigan Historical Markers.

Sue Silliman House

Arthur Silliman came from Pennsylvania to St. Joseph Co, MI in 1847 with his parents and ten siblings. He began his trade in 1852 in the Village of Centreville. In 1876 Silliman constructed the structure now known as the Sue Silliman House on South Main Street on the St. Joseph River in downtown Three Rivers. The house was located near the old Pottawatomie Indian trail where it crossed the St. Joseph River. In 1903 Silliman deeded the property to his daughter Sue I. Silliman. Upon her death, the property passed to the town of Three Rivers. The contents of the home were auctioned and the house sold to the General Telephone Company. Rather than demolish the building, GTE proposed in 1976 to gift the property to the Abiel Fellows Chapter NSDAR if they could raise the funds to restore and maintain it. The goal was met in 1980 with a grant from the Harold and Grace Upjohn Foundation. The Sue Silliman House is on the National Register of Historic Places and the Michigan Historical Markers.

escort istanbul escort